Tuesday, April 8, 2008

On the value of blogging

I've thought recently it was time for a new blog, so here it is. Historically, I've done a rather bad job of posting regularly on blogs, so I'm not sure whether this will be a success or not, but I'll make an effort.

My own shortcomings aside, though, I've been reflecting on the value of blogging, and of journaling in general. It seems to me that to properly know one's own thoughts, it makes sense to write them down on a regular basis. Once on paper, our thoughts can more easily be made the object of reflection. To know one's own mind, one's own beliefs and values, is a noble goal, and journaling can be a useful tool in attaining that goal. It can help us to organize our thoughts, and come to be better able to understand and articulate them.

Journaling in a public setting, on a blog, can yield further benefit for our development as people. Journaling is for ourselves, and provides us with a way to know our own mind and dialogue with ourselves, but a blog connects us with other people, creates a community, in the midst of which the journal-keeper may come into contact with other minds against which his (or her) own might be sharpened. A blog provides a way in which we can discuss our ideas, beliefs, thoughts, and feelings with one another, for the mutual benefit of the community. Through a blog we can critique, contribute, and encourage one another in a unique and meaningful way that cannot be achieved through any other medium.

With that, I present this latest attempt to keep a blog, for my own development and enjoyment, and (hopefully), for yours as well.

3 comments:

jaredshane said...

yay for having a blog.

Elias Da Silva said...

I am all for it. Thanks for inspiring me, I know i have been writing a lot, but I was just really grateful for having the impetus to write something down again, something personal.

Anyways, i loved your thoughts here, on the value and nature of blogging, good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Schuyler @ORU,

Yes, please keep blogging and don't be too concerned about how often you do so.

Hi, this is my first visit to your blog. Out of all the millions of blogs out there, today in the Providence of God, I found your blog. I am immediately drawn to the spirit of what some of your posts convey- and about these comments re.your approach to blogging and what makes a good blog. You are valuable to the rest of us; you have something worth contributing to any who find their way to your blog and will take the time to listen to your heart.

We need you-the Church needs you-the world needs you. In turn your friends will try to keep you encouraged in the Lord and his work.

John Paul Todd
e4unity.wordpress.com